Sunshine Motorway interchange update – October to December 2017.
The Department of Transport and Main Roads would like to provide residents of Sippy Creek, Cunning and Wilson roads with an update on construction activities in your area.
Vegetation removal activities
We appreciate your patience while vegetation removal and mulching works have been undertaken near your area.
To remove large trees close to the Bruce Highway and Sunshine Motorway, we are required to close lanes to ensure the safety of roadworkers and motorists. Lane closures must be undertaken at night when traffic volumes are lower and the speed limit can be reduced.
Vegetation removal works have been carried out to:
• Replace the existing intersection at the Sunshine Motorway interchange near Wilson Road with free-flowing highway ramps.
• Provide for construction of the new western service road which will connect Tanawha Tourist Drive in the north to Steve Irwin Way in the south. A shared pedestrian and cyclist route will be provided along this road.
• Allow for an upgrade of the Bruce Highway from four to six lanes between Caloundra Road and the Sunshine Motorway.
• Realign around 800m of Wilson Road to allow space for construction of the new Sunshine Motorway interchange, new northbound highway ramp and new western service road.
• Provide for construction of a new intersection near the western service road for local residents to access Cunning and Wilson roads.
Vegetation clearing activities will continue over the next couple of months on the eastern side of the highway, with some night works required to safely remove the remaining large trees next to the Bruce Highway and Sunshine Motorway.
Clearing will start on the eastern side of the highway near Pignata Road before the end of the year and progressively move north towards Sippy Downs. This will allow space to six-lane the highway.
Other construction activities near your area –
Night works will take place over the coming months Sunday to Thursday, 7pm to 5am, and will include:
• Widening the shoulders of the Bruce Highway, Sunshine Motorway and Cunning Road to provide for new site accesses. This will enable four new site accesses on Cunning Road, west of the Sunshine Motorway interchange and on the eastern side of the Bruce Highway, north of the Sunshine Motorway interchange.
• Line marking and installing roadside barriers along the highway and at the Sunshine Motorway and Sippy Downs interchanges, to maintain a safe distance between traffic and the construction works zone. Temporary ramp closures will be required during these works.
• Constructing a temporary northbound Bruce Highway entry ramp from the Sunshine Motorway. Traffic is expected to be transferred to this ramp over the next couple of weeks. This will allow for bridgeworks to occur at the Sunshine Motorway interchange.
• Day works will take place Monday to Saturday, 6am to 6pm and will include:
• Top soil stripping, embankment activities and major earthworks, particularly near Sippy Creek and Cunning roads.
• Bored piling works on the new bridge to the west of the Sunshine Motorway interchange.
Lane closures and other changed traffic conditions will be in place during these works. Please follow the instructions of traffic controllers.
The Sunshine Motorway access to the southbound Bruce Highway entry ramp was permanently closed in late October 2017.
Once construction works are completed, areas which were required for temporary construction works will be revegetated in accordance with the Landscape and Urban Design Plan. This plan is currently being developed.