Bridge demolition works will be carried out at the Sunshine Motorway interchange from Tuesday 28 January 2020 for approximately two weeks (weather and construction conditions permitting).
The bridge demolition works are required to be undertaken at night for safety reasons due to their close proximity to live traffic.
Works will initially commence on the old Bruce Highway northbound bridge and then move to the old southbound bridge.
To enable demolition works to begin on the old southbound bridge, southbound highway traffic will be diverted onto the new bridge recently opened over the Sunshine Motorway. This traffic change is expected to occur in the week commencing Monday 3 February 2020, weather and construction conditions permitting.
What to expect:
Audible noise and temporary lighting
• Nearby residents can expect to hear noise during bridge demolition works. Heavy machinery and tools including rock breakers are required to be used to complete the works.
• Lighting towers will be used at night to light the work area.
• Both eastbound and westbound lanes of the Sunshine Motorway under the Bruce Highway bridge will be closed at night during the demolition works. Eastbound traffic will detour via the Mons Road interchange. Westbound traffic will detour via Pignata Road (Exit 190), Frizzo Road and the Bruce Highway northbound to Exit 194.
• Southbound Bruce Highway traffic may also be detoured at night prior to traffic being diverted onto the new bridge over the Sunshine Motorway.
• Traffic controllers and police will be present to assist motorists if required.
• Motorists are advised to follow directional signage and allow extra travel time.
• Where possible, priority access through the work zone will be given to emergency vehicles.
Night works will be required to complete the bridge demolition works.
The project’s working hours are:
- Night works: Sunday to Thursday, 7pm to 5am.
- Day works: Monday to Saturday, 6am to 6pm.
It is important to note that these activities are dependent on weather conditions.